Seneca Rocks, WV Climbing WeekendOct. 11-14
Seneca Rocks – AAC Columbus Day Weekend
Oct 11 – 14
Over this Columbus Day weekend, Oct 11- 14, there will be a joint section meet at
Seneca Rocks, West Virginia. The three sections participating are the DC Section, the
Mid Atlantic Section and the Southern Appalachian Section. The idea is three days –
for those with Columbus Day as a holiday – of climbing, socializing and general fun
with AAC members.
Seneca Rocks provides great multipitch trad climbing, with the best routes in the
range of most weekend warriors, i.e. 5.7 – 5.10. There are other crags nearby and
good hiking and mountain biking as well.
For those not familiar with Seneca Rocks, everything is close by within walking
distance: the climbing, the campsite, the Gendarme climbing store/guiding
operation, and Seneca Guides, the other guiding company.
• Camping has been arranged for Friday – Sunday nights at the nearby Forest
Service Seneca Shadows campground, Group Site D. This is within walking
distance of the climbing.
• Breakfast – coffee & pastries – will be provided for Saturday & Sunday,
and a barbecue dinner for Saturday evening. This will be at the campsite.
Vegetarians will be welcome…
• Saturday evening on the Seneca Guides deck there will be a film and
presenters from the different sections, covering interesting places to climb
• Sunday evening there will be a similar event at the Gendarme, using the
Gendarme tent ….which is the bad weather facility for Saturday evening
• Seneca Rocks is a confusing cliff and is the DC section home crag. DC
members will help you find – and maybe climb with you – your long dreamedabout classic…
• The weekend will cost AAC members $20, to be collected on registration at
• Please carpool if possible. Parking at the campsite is very restricted – and
the Forest Service is serious about compliance….
• Volunteers. We need to some to carry out a minimal set of tasks to make
everything run smoothly. All we need is a couple of hours of your time, in the
morning or in the evening….email [email protected]
• For those without partners, we will meet each morning in the Seneca Rocks
climbers’ parking lot to make arrangements. Guides can also be hired – see
Even if you are not certain about attending, please sign
help ensure we have enough food, enough camping spaces and
may help you locate rides and climbing partners.
Also, we require participants to fill in a liability waiver. Forms
will be available at registration or you can help by filling this out
in advance: WAIVER LINK [this works if you paste
it into your browser]
If you are interested in being guided for one or more days, guiding services
are available through the Gendarme – please contact Diane Kearns at
[email protected] Diane has suggested two particular itineraries: Seneca
classics 5.2-5.6, and Seneca 5.7 classics…which would be 5.8 at most other cliffs.
If you are thinking about participating in this event, please contact your section
chairman or email [email protected]
For the AAC Columbus day weekend, Seneca Rock Mountain Guides will offer members a $50 discount on Private Guiding for groups of two – $300 for the day
Comments are closed.